Preparing Bigleaf Hydrangeas for Winter


I woke up to 37 degrees F this morning, a stark reminder that I need to prepare to wrap some of my bigleaf hydrangeas (macrophyllas) for winter. Those that aren't planted in protected locations as I described in my earlier blog posts, https://bit.ly/2lRGNlm and https://bit.ly/2A8tzZE need a little help if I want to give them their best chance of having their buds make it through the coming winter to see flowers in 2019. 

Exactly what does this mean right now? SHRUBCOVERS: something I can use to safely protect the plants from ice and snow, maybe even give them a few degrees of insulation.

Of course, before I cover my plants I need to wait until they have dropped all their leaves and I have cleaned up the base of the plant. I don't want any fungal spores to overwinter and return to infect my plants next season.  

Taking that into account, it may be too early in your part of the country to install these covers. But it's not too early to get those shrub covers lined up 'cause by the time you need them, you might not have enough time to get it all done.  

What does a shrub cover look like?  

It can be an "A-Frame" made from discarded wood pallets you can salvage from local stores or one you build on your own.  
A-Frame shrub cover made from a pallet.

DIY plans and ideas are all over the internet. I found one at

You can simply leave the A-Frame bare to shunt off snow and ice. However, for colder areas the A-frame makes a great base to drape a tarp or insulating cover. If you do that, make sure you secure it against the weather with string or a bungee cord.

Another kind of winter protection can be an unframed drape held by the stems of the plant. Here's one available at several on-line shopping sites:

Unstructured shrub cover draped over plant.

In any event, don't wait to get these items lined up for installation. There's no way of telling when the on-line suppliers will run out and how much time you have to get yourself organized for this task. Let the plants harden off while you get busy doing your part. If this is the route you choose to go, you'll be glad you've got these covers at the ready.

I cover the subject of winter protection in my best selling book, Success With Hydrangeas, A Gardener's Guide. You can order a signed copy here. It makes a great holiday gift for the gardener in your life.
Hydrangea happiness can't start soon enough!








Popular posts from this blog

IS IT TIME TO PRUNE NEW WOOD BLOOMING HYDRANGEAS?

HYDRANGEA PANICULATA 'LIMELIGHT'